Minutes of July 2019 meeting

Minutes of meeting of the Board of Directors of the Autscape Organisation
Minutes of the Board meeting held on 13th July 2019
Meeting opened 17:05
Present: Elaine, Heta, Jenny, Jeremy, Larry, Martijn, Trish, James (late)
Apologies: Debbie (invited), Fergus
One observer

1. Approvals
1.1. Minutes of the June 2019 meeting posted to the list on 12th July 2019
1.1 Minutes approved, 7 for.

2. Ratifications

2.1. Annual report 17/18 posted to the list on 26th June 2019 (9 for - 1st July 2019)
2.1 Annual Report ratified, 7 for.

2.2. Accounts 17/18 posted to the list on 27th June 2019 (9 for - 7th July 2019)
2.2 Accounts ratified, 7 for.

2.3. The decision taken on the list to accept the following 11 proposals for the Autscape 2019 programme (9 for - 23 June 2019):
* David Hartley: Creative Writing Workshop
* Dr Mary Doherty: “What do we want our doctors to know about autism? And how should we tell them?”
* Emmi Varis: Stability in Peer Support: Experiences and ideas
* Heta: Connecting autistic-led organizations in Europe
* Kalen: Getting unstuck: anti-inertia strategies
* Kate Fox: Bigger on the Inside
* Katie Linden: The intersection of autism and complex PTSD
* Kosma Moczek: Reinventing the wheel. Descriptions of autism in non-autism research
* Lexi Orchard: The problematic nature of forming connections whilst passing
* Paul: The identity of disconnection
* Sonny Hallett: Intense Connections: autistic community and our other identities

Note: these are sorted alphabetically so they are no longer in the order of our ratings, which are confidential.

2.3 Programme Proposals ratified, 7 for.

3. Proposals

3.1. The Organising Committee proposed the Board approve the List of Delegations for Autscape 2019.

There was a short discussion between Martijn and Elaine and it was decided that Martijn would send the appropriate form to Elaine who will follow it up on list.
Action 3.1 - Martijn to send form to Elaine for follow up on list.

3.2. The Honorary Secretary proposed that all messages to the board list should be treated as Routine unless they are marked Urgent. Routine messages should have a deadline for the board to respond of not less than two weeks. Urgent messages should have a deadline for the board to respond within 48hrs.

This is to help things to keep moving on the Board list. It was confirmed there will be occasional prompts and that we should be informed if someone is away or ill for a long period of time. There was a short discussion about the need for unanimous votes outside of meetings.

James joined the meeting at this point.

3.2 Routine and Urgent Messages approved, 8 for.

3.3. The Honorary Secretary proposed that we change the date of the August meeting to 3rd August.

3.3 Next meeting 3rd Aug approved, 7 for, 1 abstained.

It was also agreed that the meeting will be at 6pm instead of 5.

4. Follow-ups
4.1. Accessibility Guidance
Although this was posted to the Board list it has since been updated.
Deferred to list pending Elaine's amendment.

Action 4.1 – follow up Accessibility Guidance on list (Elaine)

4.2. Contingency plans and number of Board members.
A contingency plan is required in case Elaine, being Company Secretary, is not elected to the Board at the AGM.
A simple contingency plan could be that if Elaine is not elected onto the Board this time the Board vote in Elaine as a non-Board Company Secretary (unless there is someone suitable on the Board).
Elaine stated she would rather not do anything about changing the number of board members this year but will look into options in September.
There was a discussion about options such as electing people for less than 3 years to address the problem of losing too many Board members at one time in future years.

Action 4.2 - Follow up on number of Board Members in September (Elaine)

5. Role reports

5.1. Chair (Martijn)
The Chair noted that he hopes with 3.2 carried, list discussions will be a little more productive. There was nothing else to report.

5.2. Company Secretary (Elaine)
The Company Secretary reported she has to do the annual declarations for Companies House and the Charities Commission this month. She also needs to do the AGM paperwork and call for nominations just after this meeting. She has to send the accessibility guidance and then we hopefully can get the behaviour policy amended before Autscape.

5.3 Honorary Secretary (Elaine)
Nothing to report.

5.4. Treasurer (Jeremy)
Nothing to report.

5.5. Event Manager Autscape 2019 (Kalen)

Martijn said no report had been received but he had emailed asking for one to be sent to list.
Elaine reported that things are on track now and just need finalising. Also that James and Seth are coming on the organising team.

Action 5.5 – Request report from event manager (Martijn)

5.6. Membership Secretary (Jeremy)
Nothing to report.
Elaine requested an up to date list of members if Jeremy will not be at Autscape.

Action 5.6 – Send list of members to Elaine (Jeremy)

5.7. Fundraising Coordinator (Jeremy)
Nothing to report.

5.8. Tech Coordinator (Martijn)
Nothing to report.

5.9. Lists Coordinator (James)
The Lists Coordinator reported that he may be stepping down from this role in September/October, so it would be good if the Board started thinking about a replacement. He will probably stay on as a moderator.
Elaine has indicated that Lists Coordinator needn't continue as a Board role, which would make it easier to find a replacement. The running of the lists is going well.

5.10. Venue Search Coordinator (Elaine)
The Venue Search Coordinator reported that Giggleswick is looking promising but it hinges on another group as stated on list. She should know the situation in a couple of weeks.

6. Any Other Business
There was no other business.

Closed part of the meeting

7. Recommending for re-election
Elaine explained that if there are a few people putting themselves forward the members could go by the recommendations of the Board.
The call for nominations has to be put out shortly, followed by the agenda which would recommend people. So, this needs to be dealt with now.

There was a long discussion on the appropriateness of voting about recommending individual Board members. It was mentioned that we can explain that it is not about lacking faith in those who are not recommended.

The vote was taken through emails to Heta to avoid having to vote about people whilst they are in the meeting.

The votes are:
[confidential item redacted]

The Board will be recommending Elaine, Martijn, James.

Meeting closed 19:41