Minutes of December 2018 meeting

Minutes of meeting of the Board of directors of The Autscape Organisation

Meeting date: 15th December 2018

Meeting time: 17:00 GMT

Meeting Chair: Martijn

Present: Elaine (Late), Fergus, Heta, Jenny, Jeremy,Trish, James, Larry
Invited: Kalen
Apologies: Martijn, Kalen

Observers: 1

Meeting opened: 17:05

1. Approvals

1.1. Minutes of the November 2018 meeting posted to the list on 14th
     December 2018
     Minutes approved, 6 for and 1 abstention.

2. Ratifications


3. Proposals

3.1. The Company Secretary proposed that the board approve the revised
     Bursary Policy - see Appendix A of agenda.

[Elaine joined the meeting]

     There was a discussion over the exact wording. It was also queried
     whether board members and organisers could apply for a bursary. The
     Company Secretary assured the board that they could apply but to avoid
     a conflict of interest they could not be involved in the decision
     whether or not they would be awarded one.

     Bursary Policy approved (8 for) 

4. Follow-ups

4.1. Registered address (Elaine)

     The Honorary secretary informed the board that we need to find a new
     registered address as our current address belonged to a former board
     member. She explained that we have three options. The first and easiest
     was for somebody to offer their address. Otherwise we would either have
     to use a PO Box or a mailing company. Both of these would cost and both
     would cause us some difficulties.

     Larry offered his address which the board accepted. 

5. Role Reports

5.1 Chair (Martijn)
    Not present.

5.2 Company Secretary (Elaine)
    The Company Secretary reported she was hoping to get more done this
    month but the bursary policy, the venue contract and illness took over.
    Expect more in the New Year. She will also get the Annual report done
    over Christmas.

5.3 Honorary Secretary (Elaine)
    Nothing to report.

5.4 Company Treasurer (Jeremy)
    The Company Treasurer reported he expects to be able to present a draft
    of the accounts to the board before the next board meeting. Elaine
    informed him that she still had receipts and money to send. there are

5.5 Fundraising Coordinator (Jeremy)
    The Fundraising Coordinator reported the Give as you Live service is
    doing very well. It has raised enough money to possibly cover a
    shortfall in the event that Autscape does not reach 200 attendants next

    He also reported that he is considering stepping down from this role due
    to a correspondence from an attendee who is keen that we apply for
    larger funds, which he feels he is not best placed to pursue. The
    Company Secretary asked him to bring this to the list as fundraising
    opportunities should be brought to the attention of the board.

    Discussion on this deferred to list.

    Action: 5.5. Raise discussion on fundraising issue on list (Jeremy)

5.6 Membership Secretary (Jeremy)
    Nothing to report.

5.7 Event co-ordinator Autscape 2019 (Kalen)
    No report however Elaine said they haven't really got started on 2019 yet.

5.8 Lists coordinator (James)
    The Lists Coordinator reported for December that there have been a few
    issues on the Community list, one of which involving the Lists
    Coordinator. The moderators are looking at 2 issues and keeping a closer
    eye than usual. A wide range of issues/topics continue to be
    discussed.Elaine said the recent events on the list have highlighted
    another problem which she will bring up on list later. James is aware of
    this. It might mean a slight amendment to the guidelines.

    Action: 5.8 Raise list guidelines issue on Board list (Elaine)

5.9 Venue search coordinator (Elaine)
    The Venue Search Coordinator reported that she was still working on the
    contract for 2019 and will begin work on 2020 when this is finalised.

6. Any Other Business

6.1 Jeremy asked about apologies from invited attendees at Board meetings
    and Elaine confirmed that if somebody is invited it should be recorded.

6.2 Advertising the venue for 2019

    Jeremy informed the board that he had taken the opportunity to give a
    short presentation about Autscape to a local autistic group. He
    suggested we broaden our advertising to ensure we make the high number
    we have committed to in 2019.

    Elaine reminded the board that until the contract has been signed the
    venue should not be announced.

Closed Part of the Meeting

7. [Confidential matters involving Autscape participants, not published online]

Meeting closed at 19:09