Minutes of July 2018 meeting

Minutes of meeting of the Board of directors of The Autscape Organisation

Meeting date: 27th July 2018

Meeting time: 14:00 BST

Meeting Chair: Martijn

Present: Heta, James, Jenny, Jeremy, Larry, Martijn, Peter, Trish

Apologies: Elaine

One observer.

Meeting opened: 14:06

1. Approvals

1.1. Minutes of the June 2018 meeting posted to the list on 21st July 2018
     Approved, 8 for.

2. Ratifications

No ratifications.

3. Proposals

3.1. Elaine proposed that the board allocate up to £500 to purchase a badge
     making machine and supplies for making the Photo, Hug and
     Research/reporter opt out badges for Autscape conferences. See
     rationale at Appendix A.

     There followed a brief discussion where the board agreed it was
     affordable and worth it.
     Carried, 8 for.

3.2. The Chair proposed that the Registrar, Debbie, be invited to the board
     mailing list as a non-voting participant, with a view to reducing the
     communication difficulties between the board and the organising team.

     Carried, 8 for.

3.2.1. The chair proposed to give Debbie voice in the IRC board meetings.

       Carried, 8 for.

       The chair noted that other organising team members may benefit from
       more contact with the board and that these should be considered on a
       case by case basis.

3.3. The Treasurer proposed that the board agree to refund the £50
     registration deposit of a freelance worker for whom an important work
     opportunity has arisen which clashes with the dates of Autscape.

     The board discussed this at length as they were mindful that Autscape’s
     policy was that the deposit was not refundable. However, they were
     sympathetic to the predicament of the person requesting.

     It was also noted that others could have an equally good reason for
     cancelling and that there may be more requests for the deposit to be
     refunded. Some may also not be able to ask and therefore this would not
     be fair. Questions were raised about what constitutes a good reason and
     whether this should be included in a policy.

     The board also considered the impact on the event budget if lots of
     people requested a refund.

     Therefore they decided to defer this item until after the event to see
     if any others made a request. Trish agreed to inform the person.

4. Follow-Ups


5. Role Reports

5.1. Chair (Martijn)
     Nothing to report

5.2. Company Secretary (Elaine)
     No report was submitted

5.3. Honorary Secretary (Elaine)
     No report was submitted 

5.4. Treasurer (Jeremy)
     Nothing to report

5.5. Event Manager Autscape 2018 (Kalen)
     We now have roughly 200 people registered. Non-residential registration
     is still open. The schedule of main presentations has been worked out,
     although not yet published because it needs to be approved by the
     organisers first. There are some issues with having the play live, but
     possible solutions are being discussed. Next year a more flexible
     approach to presenters' compensation would make this sort of thing
     easier to deal with.

     A call for leisure activities has gone out and many submissions have
     been received. These are tricky to schedule in. The interactive
     projector has been booked and a suitable place found for it. At the
     moment, we don't have any plans for a disco or retro computer games. I
     think there is enough planned, but if there is a strong desire to have
     one or both of these, I will look into it.

     I would urge the board to consider next year's event as a matter of
     priority. Neither a venue nor an organising team have been arranged as
     far as I am aware, and it is already quite late in the day for these,
     especially the venue.

5.6. Membership Secretary (Jeremy)
     Nothing to report

5.7. Fundraising coordinator (Jeremy)
     Nothing to report

5.8. Tech coordinator (Martijn)
     Nothing to report 

5.9. Lists coordinator (James)
     Nothing to report

5.10. Venue search coordinators (Peter and Debbie)
      Peter mentioned that they would benefit from more direction from the

6. Any Other Business

6.1. Martijn proposed that the invitation to participate on the board list
     and board meetings in 3.2 and 3.2.1 be extended to Kalen as well.

     Carried, 8 for.

6.2. James commented that the bursary decisions would benefit from being
     earlier next year. It was agreed that this should be discussed on list.

6.3. Larry said that he was no longer able to help liaise with Autism UK. As
     other board members were still willing it was not a problem.

[Trish left the meeting]

6.4. Peter pointed out that a proposal had been missed off the agenda:

     Elaine proposed that the board waive the need to indicate in advance of
     booking that a person requires a bursary, only for those board members
     that booked before the May 22 board meeting and all non board
     organisers that have booked.
     Carried, 4 for, 2 against.

Meeting closed at 16:09